Monday, July 23, 2012

Salon Solo presents Maria Petrovskaya, painter

In collaboration with venue partner, Producers Club, International Women Artists’ Salon is pleased to present a solo exhibition of salonista Maria Petrovskaya. “The Garden of the Earthly Delights” is a showcase of recent paintings by Ms. Petrovskaya that explores shape, color and sensuality in a whimsical painterly style.

This is the third solo show installment of IWAS' Salon Solo project, inaugurated with venue partner of Producers Club.
“The Garden Of Earthly Delights”





July 23rd - August 13th , 2012


Location:

Producers Club
358 West 44th Street (between 8th and 9th Avenues, closer to 9th Avenue) New York, NY 10036
http://producersclub.com/


Viewing Hours:
12 noon to 10 pm, 7 days a week


Or by appointment by emailing:
info@producersclub.com or womenartsalon@gmail.com

Artist reception:

Tuesday, July 24th, 7 - 9 pm


UPDATE: Artist Reception changed to Wednesday, August 1st, 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm






Artist Statement

My own paintings are created with a sense of humor that I consider vital to my work. As Dubuffet wrote—«Art and the Joke—these two categories have common blood». If I were to choose a literary form that best fits my paintings that would be a fairy tale or a fable. I was fascinated with fairy tales well beyond my childhood years, and I often feel that an incredible story with fictional characters can best describe the most common problems or difficult psychological situations. My paintings may look surreal and whimsical, but the underlying layer of my often «funny» works is usually serious.


I am more concerned with painting a psychological portrait or describing a psychological situation rather than with just creating an image, and my paintings are rather introspective. I try to create a surreal world, but its inhabitants are not displayed for the public entertainment, rather they are busy with the lives of their own.




Artist Bio

Maria Petrovskaya was born in Moscow, graduated from the School of Visual Arts (New York) and currently resides in the New York City. Her recent shows include “Black and White” at Ouchi gallery (NYC), Ai Weiwei benefit at WhiteBox (NYC), «International mixer» at the Institut Francais-Arthur Rimbaud, Djibouti City, East Africa; NY Studio Gallery and QAS at Webster Hall (NYC). Select bibliography includes "At the Edge" magazine, Art in America gallery guide,
http://www.artseast.blogspot.com/.


www.mariapetrovskaya.com

No comments:

Post a Comment